[LINK] NSW Nettops for Students to Keep

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Dec 1 09:26:23 AEDT 2008

On 01/12/2008, at 8:54 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> According to media reports NSW year 9 to 12 students will get a small
> notebook computer which they get to take home and keep at the end of
> their schooling:
> <http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/technology/nsw-students-to-get-promised-laptops/2008/11/29/1227979822008.html
> >.
>
> [snip]
>
> NSW is claiming that the computers will cost $2,245 per student,
> including the network hardware. Given that the PCs will cost about
> $400 each, it is difficult to see what the rest of the money is to
> be spent on.

Rolling out PCs, software, networking, configuration,
administration... $2k per user doesn't seem unreasonable --
particularly if you want these Wi-Fi-equipped beasties to connect out.
Or, Tom, are you saying that's somewhere else?

My concern is that they'll have crippled access: no social media to
prevent kiddies seeing "unwholesome" things. I've just written about
this:

"Do we really care about our kids?"
http://stilgherrian.com/politics/do-we-really-care-about-our-kids/

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia