[LINK] NSW Nettops for Students to Keep

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Dec 2 09:58:43 AEDT 2008

Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> However, my main concern is that no one seems to be worrying about
>> what the computers are going to actually be used for. Even if the
>> cost of running the computers is paid for, is anyone investing in
>> content and training for the computers to be educationally useful?
>>

> I agree. Learning to use a computer and having access to computers seems
> to be a useful component of school education, but so are a lot of other
> things. Why buy each student (and I assume all students who start school
> from now on) a computer? What happens when new models issued? Will they
> replace all those out there? If not, then it is likely that new and
> younger students will have more powerful machines than older ones who
> need computers for more advanced uses.
>
> Do schools or the government provide anything else of a similar nature?
> Do they provide books, writing materials, sports equipment, uniforms?
>
> It all sounds like policy on the run to me. Not much thinking it through.

Wow, an outbreak of everybody-agrees!

Including me. It was an inevitable outcome of long-term advocacy /
lobbying which put the machines at the centre of thinking. "Get
computers" instead of "create the right curriculum" was always
short-sighted and polluted by sales pitches.

Because of the way computing-in-schools has been pitched, the mere
existence of the computers themselves has become a "see, we care"
emblem; an easy and visible expression of a commitment which doesn't
really exist.

RC