[LINK] Proposal for International Law Enforcement

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Dec 6 11:49:41 AEDT 2008

At 11:28 AM 6/12/2008, Craig Sanders wrote:
>we've already got more than enough MAI treaties masquerading as "Free
>Trade" treaties to undermine national sovereignty, we don't need
>american...oops..."international" cops as well.

I understand your point, Craig. However, there are already
international conventions that allow for common legal positions in a
majority of countries, if not 100% of them. Copyright happens to be
one of those, through the Berne Convention. However it isn't 100%, so
the breachers set up shop in countries that don't conform. I believe
one of those to be China.

I have less trouble with a US perspective. If the measure by which
the decision was made as to whose law won out was based on
population, China's would. So that's probably not a good measure. The
bigger concern is that this approach -- that is an international cop,
to put it in common terms -- for this particular issue is that the
concept would be extended to other areas of the law without a
governance structure to control it. There is no world 'government'.

so the only thing I can see that would be functional is a series of
common laws in the majority of countries that say we will prosecute X
for such and such. And the people within those countries through
their representative bodies, i.e. parliaments and congresses, would
have a say in the matter of which areas should or should not be
handled in that way. It's sort of like the way the state level laws
are agreed to be common within Australia.

Jan
on a beautiful Saturday morning

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007