[LINK] Proposal for International Law Enforcement

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sat Dec 6 22:20:33 AEDT 2008

On 2008/Dec/05, at 11:56 PM, David Boxall wrote:

> I guess an International legislative regime is inevitable.
> Reconciling
> different perspectives and expectations will be quite a task.  Or will
> the US view predominate?
> <http://www.itnews.com.au/News/90564,cybercriminals-need-to-be-punished.aspx
> >
>> F-secure has re-ignited its push for the establishment of a global
>> legislative authority that apprehends cyber thieves, claiming it’s
>> the only way to stop them.
> International crime is a problem, not only online.

Exactly, we've had international/transnational companies for some time
and you can be sure of 3 things: whatever harm they have done or can
do is potentially vastly worse than any person could possibly do; they
don't want an international policing body controlling them; some of
them make more money than small countries and a proportion of the GDP
of large ones and that gives them a huge lobbying power to change
government attitudes to allow them to do what they want (and if your
government doesn't like what they do they'll find one that will).

>> “The bottom line today is that too few of the perpetrators get
>> punished. As a result, we’re sending the wrong message to criminals:
>> here is a way to make lots of money and you will never be caught or
>> punished,” said Mikko Hyppönen, F-Secure’s chief research officer.
>
>> ...Graham Ingram, general manager of Australia’s security response
>> team AusCERT, said the world needs a large deterrent. Something like,
>> “A law enforcement agency with enough power to go offensively and
>> find them.”

You'd have to trust each government that was part of this.  Would you?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant