[LINK] More on Freeview

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Dec 8 09:11:00 AEDT 2008

David Boxall wrote:
> <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/BlogEntry/130263,get-ready-for-freeview--televisions-new-weasel-word.aspx>
>> Fifteen channels sounds exciting until you sit down and do the maths.
>>  In Australia's capital cities you've already got a standard-def and
>>  high-def channel from each of the five broadcasters, plus a second
>> standard-def channel from the ABC and SBS. So there's 12 channels
>> already, and once the commercial networks are allowed to broadcast a
>>  second standard-def channel next year you'll have your 15.
>> The only thing I've heard about Freeview that sounds vaguely
>> interesting is that Network 10 intends to launch a 24 hour sports
>> channel - which hopefully might stop more sport being locked away on
>> pay TV.
>
>> Apart from 15 channels, Freeview's other big selling point is the
>> Electronic Program Guide, which we've supposedly had for a year
>> anyway. Maybe the networks are promising to stop stuffing around and
>> actually provide a decent EPG rather than the hotch-potch effort we
>> get now.

There are other at least three other free digital channels in Sydney - at
present I get no signal for NITV and Channel NSW, though they show up in the scan.

NITV (National Indigineous TV)
<http://nitv.org.au/>

Channel NSW
(I used to get thisNSW govrenment station - which comprised surf and trafficcam
and once, I think it was on this station, I caught  a discussion between Peter
Garret and David Suzuki)
<http://www.nsw.gov.au/channelnsw/>

There is also the channel 9 tv guide and I think one other station (possibly
Teachers tv)  which shows up without a signal.

In sydney, we also get channel 31 an analog signal which has had a turbulent
recent history.

I prefer to play rather than watch sport.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au