[LINK] Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Brits' Failed Heavy Metal Censorship Attempt Disrupts Wikipedia Edits

David Goldstein wavey_one at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 14:07:59 AEDT 2008

I stand by what I said. And a shame you didn't actually read what I said Rene.

In the UK it is all voluntary, albeit originally under the threat of government regulation and largely still is I think. It's not what is being proposed in Australia.

Face reality - the government is going to get involved in some way. And if the industry doesn't come up with workable solutions then government, rightly or wrongly, will.

You can stamp your feet and get red in the face and say how wrong it is all you like. But come up with a workable solution that addresses the issues what the government wants. But that hasn't happened in Australia apart from the IIA code that addresses some of the issues.

So talk all the nonsense you want Rene. Quote all the figures, morals and even god if you want, but it doesn't deal with the issues.

And as I said, if there had been a similar situation introduced into Australia, I'd bet we'd be avoiding the discussion that is happening now about what the government wants to introduce.

David