[LINK] A new Communications Consumer Action group

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Dec 8 17:22:57 AEDT 2008

from: Fwd: Slattery's Watch - 8th December, 2008
>The establishment of the
><http://slattery.slatteryit.com.au/rp//118/process.clsp?t=2AFA597A75B3C872DBB4499CAD8B93861>Australian
>Communications Consumers Action Network (ACCAN)
>is to be helped by a $700,000 Federal Government
>grant. The Government announced the plans for
>the new body in May 2008, and allocated $87,000
>in transitional funding the following month. The
>additional funding follows the Government’s
>recent endorsement of the Telecommunications
>Industry Ombudsman connect.resolve campaign. The
>establishment of ACCAN is being coordinated by
>the Consumers Telecommunications Network.

I wonder if their remit allows them to counter
the govt's proposed filtering system? ;-)

and this update on digtv switchover:
>The Digital Television Switchover Bill 2008 has
>been
><http://slattery.slatteryit.com.au/rp//118/process.clsp?t=27E0AE18250CACAB5BF409A68EF01B3B9>passed
>– the last legislation to pass in 2008 –
>allowing for “the upgrade of essential national
>communications infrastructure”. The Government
>has set 31 December 2013 as the date for the
>switch-off of analog television, with Mildura to
>be the first to switch-off in 2010. Work is
>underway on the Digital Tracker research
>program, which will provide quarterly reports on
>regional switchover trends. The Government will
>also publish progress reports on signal blackspots.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing
the silver for guests. - JW, May, 2007