[LINK] Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Brits' Failed Heavy Metal Censorship Attempt Disrupts Wikipedia Edits

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Mon Dec 8 19:36:24 AEDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 00:03:37 -0800 (PST), David Goldstein wrote:

> There is a report that shows what happens in the UK, and other
> countries Conroy quotes, by the NSW Parliamentary Library.
>
> The report notes:
> "As BT itself admits, the Cleanfeed system is intended to prevent users
> inadvertently accessing illegal material."

So? The only persons who have contended anything different to my knowledge
are Conroy and other proponents of Labor's proposed so-called blocking
system.

> And Jan, as for the issues from my perspective, it doesn't matter. It's
> quite funny seeing people get worked into a lather about what they *
> think* are my position. To give my views might just spoil the fun.

Well David, if you ever deigned to explain your views, it might, just
might, help the debate.

There's an umm 'interesting' site here:
http://www.technewsreview.com.au/

that I came across recently. The provider of that site has some
'interesting' views.

Click on the left hand column link to "Censorship" articles and one finds:
- Australian man charged over viral baby-swinging video
- British ISPs censor Wikipedia over 'child porn

but next to nothing about Labor's ISP 'blocking plan' (well, one article
about GetUp's campaign).

Oh, but wait,
Click on the link in the left hand column link "Child Protection" and hey
presto, heaps of links to articles about Labor's ISP 'blocking plan'.

Unfortunately I cannot understand the logic behind what is deemed
"censorship" and what is deemed "child protection" and I suspect there is
none.

Irene