[LINK] The rallies???

rene rene.lk at libertus.net
Tue Dec 16 10:22:43 AEDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:05:32 +1100, Stilgherrian wrote:

> On 16/12/2008, at 8:56 AM, Danny Yee wrote:
>> I don't expect a complaints-based ACMA list to ever cover more than a
>> tiny fraction of those pages.  I do think it could easily grow to
>> 10,000 or 100,000 pages.  This may be why the government talks about
>> expansion to 10,000 pages, though my thought is that that's what they
>> expect to get from merging in the IWF's blacklist and maybe a few
>> other similar ones.
>

> IIRC, I saw someone say that one of the filters being tested started to
> see significant performance degradation when the blacklist hit 10,000
> or so entries, so the 10,000 item limit was just made up for that
> reason. Can't obviously find that now though.

Possibly originated from a DBCDE "FAQ":

Q&A 13:
"...The [10,000] number has no significance beyond the fact that it has
been raised in consultations as a possible tipping-point in terms of
network performance for some types of filtering, and therefore needs to be
looked at in the Pilot."

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communications_for_consumers/funding_programs__and_
_support/cyber-safety_plan/internet_service_provider_isp_filtering/isp_filt
ering_-_frequently_asked_questions

or

http://tinyurl.com/6axcml

Irene