[LINK] Telstra's NBN bid rejected

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Dec 16 23:41:16 AEDT 2008

Let us take a moment to analyse McGauchie's statement

Ummm - not when compared to the miles of Optus Fibre (mainly dark)
around the Country.

> technical know-how,

Technical Know doesn't mean anything when you preface every technology
innovation with "OK - how can we slow this down to get more revenue from
it..... E.g. FDDI loops installed in 1997 around all Telstra exchanges
to break VOIP times from 225 ms to + 350 ms - oh yeah - the outdated
FDDI rings are still there boys and girls.... (11 years and going
strong..... Nice return from investment.

> world-leading vendor,

I think that mneans - we get more return for our investment than any
other telco in the world.

> skilled workforce,

That appear to be on strike - just before Chrissie... Anyone else note
the DSL network flapping last night ?

>established wholesale systems

Hmmm- is tha the one that ISP's in Australia had to beg, cajole,
threaten, bludgeon and sue out of Telstra - Oh yeah I thought that was
it.

>and proven track record of building world-class networks - Which one ?
I am still to see one Telstra initiative that hasn't been implemented in
Germany, California or HK first.

" Mr McGauchie said.