[LINK] Canberra Lawyers Serve Reposession Order Via Facebook

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Wed Dec 17 17:54:38 AEDT 2008

On 17/12/08 3:47 PM, "Chris Maltby" <chris at sw.oz.au> wrote:

> I think it's probably legally "reasonable" to assume that the facebook
> ids are associated with the people involved, and thus they might have to
> provide evidence that they weren't served when the bailiffs show up and
> break down the door.

The question I would want answered would be what if they no longer use
facebook, what if they don't even remember what their password is?

Similarly, if the only email address you can find for someone is from an
ex-employer, would it be valid to send the service notice to that address -
even though it might well bounce, be redirected to /dev/null, or forwarded
to whoever is now in charge of that department (and subsequently filed into
their wtf/spam spam folder).

Is it acceptable to serve notice via regular post, to an address which no
longer exists, or whose tenants have no knowledge of past residents?

e.