[LINK] Worrying about the Dark Ages (was Re: ANAO report: Government Agencies' Management of their Websites)

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Dec 20 18:13:18 AEDT 2008

At 02:54 PM 20/12/2008, rene wrote:
>Such pages contains copious amounts of javascript,
>css, etc, and sundry other things, and also try to contact (and wait for
>connections to) numerous external domains for the purpose of pulling in
>advertisements and numerous other bits of "content" and the delay while
>waiting for such things to happen is sometimes very noticeable.

I've found that a lot recently on The Age. The sometimes have broken
links, too. And because the Fairfax group draws from each other's
news sites, if the connection can't be made, say, to the smh website,
the page just stalls.

I've written to their feedback techos and they are responsive, but I
always have to explain why it's not a problem on my side. That gets
really old really fast. I've reported this one problem twice. I won't
report it a third.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

~Madeline L'Engle, writer

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007