[LINK] U.S. not ready for cyber attack

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Dec 21 08:42:41 AEDT 2008

fcassia wrote:

> You mean the Evil Empire of Redmondia?
> the one that took seven years to fix a security bug?
>
> http://www.secpoint.com/microsoft-took-7-years-to-fix-security-exploit.html

<http://www.secpoint.com/microsoft-reveals-the-reason-for-seven-year-patch-delay.html>

Heh ... they didn't even fix the problem completely. Only in one case.

    "The patch does NOT address the case where the attacker relays the
     connection to a third-party host that the victim has access to."

I'm certainly not qualified to comment on their explanation for why the
bug took so long to fix, but it certainly smells like spin to me!

    "... while Microsoft had been aware of the vulnerability, fixing it
     would have broken customer network applications."

And fixing it today won't?

The faster we move away from Microsoft crap and on to more secure
computer platforms, the better for the entire planet. It *is* happening,
albeit far too slowly.

cheer
rickw