[LINK] Internet filtering plan may extend to peer-to-peer traffic, says Stephen Conroy

sylvano at gnomon.com.au sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Tue Dec 23 08:09:02 AEDT 2008

Regards
Sylvano

On 23/12/2008, at 12:43 AM, Kim Holburn <kim at holburn.net> wrote:

> http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,24833959-5014239,00.html
>
>> THE Federal Government's controversial internet censorship scheme
>> may extend to filter more online traffic than was first thought,
>> Broadband Minister Stephen Conroy revealed today.
>>
>> In a post on his department's blog, Senator Conroy today said
>> technology that could filter data sent directly between computers
>> would be tested as part of the upcoming live filtering trial.
>>
>> "Technology that filters peer-to-peer and BitTorrent traffic does
>> exist and it is anticipated that the effectiveness of this will be
>> tested in the live pilot trial," Senator Conroy said.
>>

>> Peer-to-peer file-sharing technology is the most common way for
>> computer users to share video, picture and music files over the
>> internet.
>>
>> It was previously thought the Government's filtering plan would be
>> restricted to traffic on the "world wide web" – the channel through
>> which users view websites like news.com.au.

A subtle nudge that many people are not really aware the Internet is
not just the web? ;-)

>> "I'm aware that this proposal has attracted significant debate and
>> criticism – on this blog and at other places in the blogosphere,"
>> Senator Conroy said.

'Blogosphere' is a great term for ironing out sources of distinct
criticism is it not.

It's a kind of collateral term of denegrarion like 'the great
unwashed' or 'plebs'.

>> "I'm following the debate at sites like Whirlpool and GetUp and on
>> Twitter at #nocleanfeed."

This is most interesting some ways.  I held slightly cynical view of
the 2020 summit, but this kind of declaration really makes me smirk. I
mean, apart from making the Senator sound hip, it is a little
concerning that he is wasting his time trawling the Internet.

Doesn't he have staff to provide briefings on such things and access
to any expert he likes for the technical facts?

Is he subscibed to link?

>> The filtering scheme has made headlines around the world in the The
>> New York Times and British newspapers and was the target of protests
>> held in major cities across the country earlier this month.
>
>> Despite announcing the live pilot trial would likely include
>> filtering peer-to-peer traffic, Senator Conroy rejected accusations
>> that the scheme was similar to internet censorship in countries such
>> as China.

Is there an attempt to make peer to peer the target of the censorship
debate, to deflect it away from web filtering?

>> "Freedom of speech is fundamentally important in a democratic
>> society and there was never any suggestion that the Australian
>> Government would seek to block political content," Senator Conroy
>> said.

Is it only about political content?

>> "In this context, claims that the Government's policy is analogous
>> to the approach taken by countries such as Iran, China and Saudi
>> Arabia are not justified."
>>
>> Senator Conroy said the internet filter would be in-step with
>> existing methods to censor books, films and video games.

So a member of the public will complain to the government and the
government - after determining that content is deemed censurable -
will identify the publisher and remove the content from circulation?

For peer to peer by comparison, am I need to accept that all snail
mail is being sniffed for dodgy content?