[LINK] Vic transport smartcard to cost $1bn

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Feb 6 08:48:01 AEDT 2008

At 01:41 PM 4/02/2008, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>... Vic transport smartcard to cost $1bn Ellen Whinnett February 04,
>2008 The Australian IT
>http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23155542-15306,00.html

The Victorian system seemed to be workable when I tried it
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/05/victorian-public-transport-contactless.html>.

But transport smartcard projects frequently have problems, where the
transport companies fail to rationalize their fee structure before
implementation. We should not be surprised that the Sydney one has
failed, or that the Victorian one appears to be about to, but that
some, such as Perth, seemed to have worked
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartrider>, as have London
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card>, Hong Kong
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card> and Beijing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yikatong>. There is a UK
based  Integrated Transport Smartcard Organisation
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_Transport_Smartcard_Organisation>.

In contrast to the problems with public transport smart cards, the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-TAG>e-TAG<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-TAG>s
used for
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection>electronic
toll collection on roads in Sydney and Melbourne are working and
interoperable. Perhaps the Australian Government should get the
states together to produce a system which would work on public
transport and toll roads across Australia.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU