[LINK] Mix Tapes?

Brendan Scott brendansweb at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 6 15:16:39 AEDT 2008

Michael Meloni wrote:
> Brendan Scott wrote:
>> There was once a culture of giving mix tapes of songs to friends.
>> Does this practice (ie giving or conditioning a physical object with
>> content) continue at all or has it been overtaken/driven out by p2p?
>>

> I think at least in the case of music on tapes and CDs, it's been taken
> over by sharing between devices -- Phones and MP3 Players. If Johnny has
> a crush on Liz, he's more likely to pass on the Lionel Richie tracks via
> phone than mix tape. People might also be more inclined to share their
> music with friends by using a Flash based MP3 player on their MySpace
> profile.
>
> With a phone, what might be missing is the statement made by the
> selection and ordering of songs like on a mix tape. However, using
> playlists on a MP3 player you could still create a message for the
> listener.
>
> Taken out by P2P? I think the practice might be adapting to it.

It just seems that with the cost and portability of storage it couldn't be all that hard to give someone a copy of an entire music library (and some playlists).  I was wondering whether anyone did it.  If they don't maybe it's because they (the recipient) expect to be able to find the music they want relatively easily themselves?