[LINK] Vic transport smartcard to cost $1bn

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Feb 6 16:58:11 AEDT 2008

Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 03:13:00PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
>> we've had a single ticketing system for over 20 years. you can buy
>> two-hour, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly tickets. one ticket lets you
>> travel as much as you want in the time allowed(*) in the travel zone
>> that it is valid for.
>
> in case it's not obvious from what i wrote, the one ticket is valid on
> all forms of public transport in melbourne: trams, trains, and buses.
>  -

Sydney daily/weekly/montly/annual passes are valid on all forms of transport
within the relevant zones - not very attractive if you do less than 10 trips a
week or one long trip.

But I ommitted to mention that in both Canberra and Sydney, there are pre-paid 10
trip bus only tickets,  which is convenient and economical for irregular travel.
The
travel 10 is flexible as it lets you pay for multiple zones - though not multiple
modes of transport.

In Sydney, the travel-10 are zone based, valid for one trip only and 10 individuals
could travel on one ticket on one trip. In Canberra, each passenger needs
their own pre-paid ticket.

There is a financial and convenience incentive to pre-purchase tickets
- prepayment would also deliver a windfall to the operator.

There are also a myriad of concessions - student, pension etc.

Validating the ticket when boarding buses/at trainstations can be slow, so the
contactless smartcard would speed up the process, particularly in peak hours.

I am not sure how the proposed smartcards were to be procured or topped up.

We once had trams in Sydney...
<http://www.railpage.org.au/tram/goddmack.html>

--
Marghanita da Cruz