Fifth cable cut in Mid-East (Was Re: [LINK] Fourth cable cut in Mideast

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Feb 7 10:10:02 AEDT 2008

Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Don't the US have a cable submarine ( some modified attack sub ) that
> they could use to sniff undersea cables, or is my conspiracy meter in
> overdrive...?

here is another perspective -
 >   Bharti Airtel, VSNL and seven other global telcos have signed up to build a
new submarine cable stretching from India to France via the Middle East.
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Business/India_Business/Bharti_plans_new_undersea_cable/articleshow/2762799.cms>

To misquote Oscar Wilde...
To lose one Cable may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose five looks like
carelessness.

> Kim Holburn wrote:
>> Thanks for the links.
>>
>> Here's another.  Strange stuff happening.
>>
>> Cable damage hits 1.7m Internet users in UAE
>> http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2008/February/theuae_February155.xml&section=theuae
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/2e6nwu>
>>
>>> Quoting TeleGeography and describing the effect the cuts had on the
>>> Internet world, Mahesh Jaishanker, executive director, Business
>>> Development and Marketing, du, said, “The submarine cable cuts in
>>> FLAG Europe-Asia cable 8.3km away from Alexandria, Egypt and
>>> SeaMeWe-4 affected at least 60 million users in India, 12 million in
>>> Pakistan, six million in Egypt and 4.7 million in Saudi Arabia.”
>>>
>>> A total of five cables being operated by two submarine cable
>>> operators have been damaged with a fault in each.
>>

>> On 2008/Feb/04, at 11:38 PM, Martin Barry wrote:
>>
>>> $quoted_author = "Kim Holburn" ;

>>> There are questions about whether there is a fourth cable cut or whether
>>> it's just reporting of the original three being garbled in translation.

>>> Cables can stop functioning for any number of reasons. Anchors are a
>>> common
>>> one but even sharks chewing them can be to blame!

>>> This is FUD. A single router in Iran was unreachable.
>>>
>>> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/02/attention_iran_is_not_disconne_1.shtml
>>>

>>> They've had the best coverage of this situation.
>>>
>>> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/01/mediterranean_cable_break.shtml
>>> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/01/mediterranean_cable_break_part_1.shtml
>>>
>>> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/02/mediterranean_cable_break_part.shtml
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> marty
>>>
>>> --"Nod.  Mindreading is a less useful skill than mindwriting,
>>> considering
>>>  all the blank media on the hoof in every major city." - Anthony de Boer
>>>
>>> alt.sysadmin.recovery - <e4j1g1$vaa$1 at sheepdip.leftmind.net>
>>
>> --
>> Kim Holburn
>> IT Network & Security Consultant
>> Ph: +39 06 855 4294  M: +39 3494957443
>> mailto:kim at holburn.net  aim://kimholburn
>> skype://kholburn - PGP Public Key on request
>>
>> Democracy imposed from without is the severest form of tyranny.
>>                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: (+61)0414 869202