[LINK] [OT] "we say sorry"

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Thu Feb 14 10:42:33 AEDT 2008

I know that wording is important (both symbolically, and in the context
of diplomacy and near subliminal legal implicature) but I reckon the
influence that will be had on compensation claims by the apology is
relatively small, perhaps negligible.

IANAL but it does seem clear to me that eligibility for compensation and
the government's apology are separate (and properly separable) issues.
Regardless of what was said by the PM yesterday, Aborigines have been
subject to episodes of removal, which it is argued caused great harm.
To determine what compensation is due, there are facts at issue which
need to be uncovered and tested, sometimes in court.

The conservatives who seemed always to fear that some sort of genie
would be released by the apology should realise that in any event, it's
too late. The shape and scale of the stolen generation case was laid
bare by all sorts of documentation, especially the "Bringing Them Home"
report.

If compensation is due, then so be it.  Personally I feel that
governments should put up compensation funds as a matter of policy.  But
quite apart from that, there will always be formal legal processes for
considering compensation.  I am not saying that the courts are a decent
way to determine these matters, not at all, but on the important
technical point of whether "liability" follows from the government
saying "sorry", the outcome of legal processes will in the main turn on
the facts of each case, and will not be much affected by public opinion,
nor the fine wording of anyone's apology.

The apology was symbolic.  And it's tragic and quite unfathomable to me
why so many opponents of the apology decry for being so.  Australia's
conservatives rally energetically around the flag, Galipoli, the
romantic idea of the 'outback', and the bloody Ashes.  You couldn't get
more symbolic.

Cheers,

Steve Wilson.