[LINK] [OT] "we say sorry"

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Feb 15 09:03:49 AEDT 2008

sylvano wrote:
> On Thursday 14 February 2008 17:55, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>> I'm striking out finding much. There seem to have been some
>> agreements with a few tribes, but nothing like Canada.

Via apache.org (yes the webserver software),
I came across <http://www.indians.org/welker/apache.htm>

Perhaps the history was different in the US and NZ.

What we are talking about in Australia (and in Canada) was the Tera Nulis
concept and it is tied up with land rights and culture.

Australia has come a long way! I migrated, with my family, to Perth  from Kenya,
in 1970. I still remember vividly, being "educated", in grade 5, about the
Pitanjara people, the assimilation policy and the recessive genes that would see
the race die out. Bear in mind a large proportion of the Australian population
went to school before me, including members of the stolen generation.

> "But let us do it in a considered and negotiated manner as part of a careful constructed process aimed at building an Australian nation that recognises and respects Aboriginal history, culture, language and society."
> Mr Dodson said Australia had changed from the moment Mr Rudd made the apology.
<http://news.smh.com.au/sorry-compo-wont-cripple-nation-dodson/20080213-1ryn.html>

Marghanita

> Australia Talks on radio National covered the Apology yesterday:
>  http://www.abc.net.au/rn/australiatalks/stories/2008/2158126.htm
> with audio of the program.  They had a guest, Melissa Nobles, on the line
> discussing apologies around the world.
>
> They provide a link to a website, Political Apologies and Reparations:
>  http://political-apologies.wlu.ca/doclist.php
>
> Also there is a link to Melissa Nobles' (Associate professor of Political
> Science, MIT) book on The Politics of Official Apologies:
>  http://www.cambridge.org/aus/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=9780521693851
>
> and Melissa Nobles' website at MIT is at:
>  http://web.mit.edu/polisci/faculty/M.Nobles.html
>

>  Sylvano
>  http://gleet.net/

Marghanita da Cruz