[LINK] Standards Australia's standard for "conflict of interest"

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Feb 20 21:53:24 AEDT 2008

At 09:05 PM 20/02/2008, Janet Hawtin wrote:
>All of these issues suggest to me that it would be useful to review
>the process itself to ensure that it is robust and able to function,
>and that it is also able to respond where a submission is procedurally
>indigestible or conflicted.

Since this is a systemic concern and we now have a new government, is
it possible to point out to whoever has the relevant portfolio what
has happened to the Australian voice in international standards? If
it has 'sunk' to too low a level, maybe it's time to 'reform' this
process as well. If we are being put at a disadvantage, maybe it's
time to shake up Standards Australia into a more "transparent"
process with adequate funding.

Oh, and while you're at it, you might mention that charging people
for copies of standards that have been developed through 'free'
consultative processes isn't exactly a good thing. Having expensive
to access standards only benefits companies that can afford to buy
them. There is no ability without expense for the public/consumers to
get benchmark information to determine on their own if products and
services are up to scratch. Why have a benchmark, which is what a
standard really is, unless people can judge against them?

Jan

Semi-finalist - Amazon Breakout Novelist Award 2008: The Truck - A
baby-boomer nostalgia murder mystery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121WDVA - Read and rate now!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #289:
You have a million words of sh** to write, so do them in whatever way
makes it most rewarding for you and worry about wasted time later.
There is no wasted time except that spent not writing. - R Garcia,
February 2008

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007