[LINK] Conroy green-lights ISP filter

Michael Meloni mike at somebodythinkofthechildren.com
Fri Feb 22 11:41:29 AEDT 2008

Conroy green-lights ISP filter and $4.7B broadband plan at first
industry address

/By Mitchell Bingemann </Feedback/Feedback.aspx?PID=134563&Story=70633> /

Senator Stephen Conroy gave his first major address to the IT industry
as the new Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital
Economy at a gala dinner event Thursday night where he outlined the
Government’s future ICT goals including its fibre-based broadband plans,
digital education reform and ISP-level filtering.

Speaking at the Internet Industry Association Annual Gala Dinner, Conroy
reiterated the Government’s commitment to building its $4.7 billion
high-speed fibre-based broadband network.

“While the Government has insisted that the network will offer minimum
speeds —and I emphasise minimum speeds—of 12 megabits per second to 98
percent of Australian homes and businesses; we believe it could actually
go much further,” he said.

More at
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/70633,conroy-greenlights-isp-filter-and-47b-broadband-plan-at-first-industry-address.aspx

--