[LINK] AIR etc for 1.2 billion net computers,

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Feb 26 09:11:45 AEDT 2008

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Adobe Blurs Line Between PC and Web
> By JOHN MARKOFF, February 25, 2008
> <http://www.nytimes.com>

[SNIP]

> He hit upon an idea that he called “Kevincloud” and mocked up a quick
> demonstration of the idea for executives at Macromedia, a software
> development tools company. It took data stored on the Internet and used it
> interchangeably with information on a PC’s hard drive. Kevincloud also
> blurred the line between Internet and PC applications.

As usual, the security and privacy issues are the devil that is the
detail. The *only* way I upload my own work data to servers on the
Internet is as encrypted archives. Anything else cannot be trusted.

> “We need to deliver an experience that is like the PC desktop,” he said.
> “At the same time, people are used to the Internet and you can’t
> shortchange them.”

Urgh .. I won't comment on what an "experience" it is using the PC
desktop.

People are used to pointing and clicking. They do not understand the
Internet, do not know how to drive on the superhighway safely and
will download anything that seems to make all "this computer stuff"
easier. Often with disastrous consequences.

I like the idea of a seamless integration of your work stn with the
entire Internet.  But often in situations like this, it is the
scoundrels that will scuttle the good people's efforts.

Heh ... a bit of hubris claiming that Flash is the most installed
piece of software.

Their business model is flawed: free software, but software
developers have to pay for the SDK? I don't think so.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

The manufacture and transport of a 1L bottle of Fiji water consumes 26kg of water, 0.9kg
of fossil fuel and emits 0.5kg of greenhouse gas.
      -- Pablo Paster, Sustainability Engineer at Triple Pundit