[LINK] As Go Document Formats, So Goes Video

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Jan 4 08:38:40 AEDT 2008

At 7:54 +1100 4/1/08, Darryl \(Dassa\) Lynch wrote:
>Executable content need not be that different.  The definition would need to
>include a description of the hardware required for the executable to run on
>and any other dependencies.
>
>The key word being dependencies.

A related problem I tackled a few years back was the inspection of
software escrow deposits.

Basically, pretty much all desposits failed to fulfil their function,
in that they did not ensure that management of the application could
be performed by the user organisation following the demise or
withdrawal from market of the supplier organisation.

Somewhere in my consultancy archives I've got a nicely structured
version of the lists of things that may be required.

It was used on several occasions to chastise suppliers who couldn't
understand why putting 'the source code' onto 'a disk' and sending it
to an air-conditioned bunker didn't satisfy the contract terms.
(Separately, I was astonished what a surprise it was to some people
that escrow deposit isn't a once-off action but a cyclical or even a
compounding activity, and that media-renewal mattered).

This is a text version, which is less useful, but a bit more readable:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/SOS/PaperEscrow.html

Skimming it again for the first time in many years, I'm struck by the
fact that I didn't address the issue of copyright licences for the
operating system version, compiler, system libraries, application
libraries, etc.  I guess we were all more relaxed back then, and
assumed that we had the right to take back-up copies.  I can just
imagine what Microsoft's licences say about such things these days ...

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong