[LINK] Software Escrow Deposits

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Jan 4 17:00:07 AEDT 2008

Alastair Rankine wrote:

> But let's not forget the documentation either, this story should sound
> suspiciously familiar to anyone who has worked in the software business
> at one time or another:
>
> http://www.hacknot.info/hacknot/action/showEntry?eid=97

Ahem. Yes, very entertaining. The people running that particular project
obviously have not learnt the lessons you and I have.

Part of testing is: recreate the build environment on a virgin machine.
Ensure the entire project can be built from scratch, pass muster and
be deployed.

I keep telling people I work with: coding is only 10% of the project.
The rest is the boring stuff: analyse, design, config, testing, deployment,
testing, bug fixes, testing hot fixes, testing, etc.etc.etc.

This might give the non techies on the list some insight into why there
are so many failed and crap software projects coming in and out of
existence all the time. To sit down and codeup some quick "solution"
and then release is just plain wrong.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Say what you will about the miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider
a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile.
     -- Howard W Campbell in Kurt Vonnegut Jr's "Mother Night"