[LINK] Weinstein: Conroy Bananas

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jan 9 18:32:34 AEDT 2008

Brendan Scott wrote:
> George Bray wrote:
>> Filters needed to battle child porn
>> Bernadette McMenamin | January 08, 2008
>>
>> IT is beyond belief that some representatives of the Australian
>> internet service provider industry are reluctant to install filters
>> that would prevent access to child pornography.
>
> I'm not following, I thought that the proposal was that anyone could elect to opt out of the filters?
> If so, this argument doesn't make much sense to me.

What I am not following is what is intended to be filtered. Is it just
child pron? Is it any "unclean" material, whatever that means?

I wonder if Ms McMenamin would be happy with an opt-in system for
filtering? She is blissfully and concernedly unaware that an opt-out
filter is an infringement on freedom of speech, censorship of mass
media and will not attain its intended goal.

cheers
rickw