[LINK] Pascal's Wager applied to GLobal CLimate Change

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 18 15:49:27 AEDT 2008

At 03:26 PM 18/01/2008, Rick Welykochy wrote:
><http://www.kn.com.au/sustainability/2007/12/pascals-wager.html>
>
>The video clip sums up quite nicely the consequences of
>doing nothing about GCC (and being wrong) vs doing something
>perhaps costly (and being wrong).
>
>How does this apply to Link? Reasoned analysis like this is
>easily disseminated now like never before. Public opinion can
>be better informed and force policy changes like never before.

Does anyone else remember Type I and Type II errors? One is
commission [doing something] and one is omission [doing nothing].
This was part of the data analysis that was factored into statistical
effect margins, right? Racking brain.

RE GCC, if we use resources [do something] to mitigate the problem,
seems to me we end up with some good outcomes, almost regardless:
more food, better energy that will last longer than the loss of big
oil, not to mention the climate change avoidance. If we don't use
resources, or continue to use them in the wrong way [ignore the
problem by doing nothing], then the likelihood of the trends
continuing are high and no benefits are realised.

This stuff makes my brain hurt.

haven't watched the video yet -- in progress.

Jan

Semi-finalist - Amazon Breakout Novelist Award 2008: The Truck - A
baby-boomer nostalgia murder mystery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121WDVA - Read and rate now!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007