[LINK] Fwd: VIP-L: CDMA closure postponed !

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Sat Jan 19 19:46:57 AEDT 2008

Jan Whitaker wrote:

>> Government postpones CDMA network closure.
>> Mr Conroy says the newer network is not up to scratch due to existing
>> problems with phone handsets.
>> He says many customers are being given new phones that do not provide
>> equal coverage.
>> "I have made it clear to Telstra that it should continue do
>> everything possible to ensure that customers are using the correct
>> Next G equipment," he said.
>> "This should include replacing handsets at no financial penalty."

At last, somebody in government gets it.  Telstra has been flogging
handsets in the bush that simply don't do the job.  LGs were touted as
the ones to buy in rural areas, apparently solely on the basis that
Telstra could provide an external antenna.

Carrying around an old CDMA unit and an LG 550, both typically show the
same signal strength (by the scientifically rigorous process of counting
the bars).  Actually making a call is a different matter.  Where the
CDMA unit worked, the LG too often doesn't.

Telstra shouldn't be allowed to close the CDMA network until they've
replaced the crap they've foisted on their customers with something that
gives performance comparable to the CDMA handsets.  Until that time,
they should reactivate the old handsets.  If a customer has disposed of
their old hardware, then I guess it's up to Telstra to provide a
replacement.

It will cost millions and Telstra will kick and scream, but their profit
isn't everything.  And I'm a shareholder.

The safety of people & property and the profitability of businesses
depend on communications.  These are things that we elect governments to
take in hand.  It looks like we might finally have one that will do the job.

There are still places within the old AMPS coverage area that don't have
a CDMA service, I'm told.  Is the story repeating?
  I reckon we need government to take a *much* more substantial role in
providing (or at least controlling the provision of) infrastructure.

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.