[LINK] 'Yellow Pages' as a Trademark

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sun Jan 20 07:32:39 AEDT 2008

On 19/1/08 4:43 PM, "Jan Whitaker" <jwhit at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> I'm bored. <yawn> I googled business directory australia. Over 4
> million entries, but not sure how many really have all three terms.
> When I made them all required, the number didn't change.

And that, indeed, is the point. "Mentioning the term business directory" is
not the same as "trading as a business directory", which is that first test
of infringing someone's trademark.

When a TV newsreader tells us that "Today BigPond announced a 35% price
reduction for loyal customers" she doesn't add "BigPond is a registered
trademark of"... she just reads the damn story. She doesn't go on about the
legal status of the terms she describes.

There surely reaches a point where such things are the common knowledge of
the people who are communicating?

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia