Adobe PDF Plug-in Was [Re: [LINK] Re: executable content vs plain data]

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Jan 20 13:42:56 AEDT 2008

At 12:50 +1100 20/1/08, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>If you have the Adobe PDF Viewer installed as a plug-in, that is an
>executable you presumably agreed to have installed in your browser.

Actually, no.  Well, not in the instance that keeps annoying me.

I use (among other things) Safari.

I occasionally receive a PDF that Mac's Preview can't handle.

By opening Adobe Acrobat 7.0 or Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 in
order to view such a PDF, the software makes changes to Safari
causing it to install and/or activate the plug-in component within
Safari.

That's emphatically not what I want.  I want to download PDFs and
then use Preview (or other viewer) to look at them;  I do not want to
display PDF in my browser window.

What's more, I need to open Adobe products sufficiently infrequently
that I can never remember where to go to get rid of the plug-in (or
at least suppress it firing up).

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong