[LINK] Digital TV could see viewers left in the dark [WAS: Digital TV, live in the clouds, you may not see it]

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sun Jan 20 17:28:04 AEDT 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:56:28PM +1100, David Boxall wrote:
> I have noticed that poor digital performance often coincides with
> poor mains power quality.  Interference transmitted from high tension
> lines is enough to drown out reception on any receiver (mains or
> battery).

interesting you should mention that. my house backs on to Merri Creek in
Coburg, Melbourne.  There are enormous electricty pylons running all the
way along the creek - presumably a convenient access corridor for
electricity supply.

before i got an SD box, ABC and SBS were often unwatchable, with sprays
of white "static" obscuring the picture and the sound breaking up.

as soon as i got an SD box, they were both perfect. same antenna, same
everything, except for addition of the SD box.

the only time there's ever any interference is a noticable 'click' in
the audio and sometimes weird pixelated artifacts in the video (both
very short-lived) when our bathroom light is switched on or off. it's
an old compact-flouro. the newer CFs in all our other rooms don't cause
this.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

	"I think he said 'Blessed are the cheesemakers.'"
	"Nonsense, he was obviously referring to all manufacturers of dairy
products."
		-- The Life of Brian