[LINK] Expert advise sought please...

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jan 21 16:00:56 AEDT 2008

At 10:13 AM 17/01/2008, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> [...]

It might be simpler to just keep a central register, recording
whatever identification there is on the batteries when they are
installed and using that to identify them when they are replaced.
This is on the assumption that the batteries are not going to be
changed often and so it is not worth the effort and cost of fitting
each one with a barcode, RFID tag or the like.

>any other suggestions ...

It might be worth looking at using "Low Self Discharge" rechargeable
nickel metal hydride (NiMH) cells. These are commonly sold as "pre
charged" rechargeable batteries.  They cost more, but are claimed to
be able to be charged twice the usual 500 times
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_metal_hydride#Low_Self_Discharge_Batteries>.

I have successfully used the AAA size cells in a mobile phone
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/11/replace-your-battery-to-save-planet.html>
and AAs in a string trimmer
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/11/replacing-batteries-in-string-trimmer.html>.
These cells are very robust: I had to stand on the AAA cells to force
them into the battery holder. I used the AA cells in place of larger
sub-C NiCd cells in the line trimmer. I suspect these batteries will
last much longer than regular ones, perhaps five to ten years in a
solar lighting system.

More recently I have read of larger capacity low discharge C and D
cells, but have not tried these and I am not sure they use the same
technology
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/01/low-self-discharge-nimh-c-cells.html>.

The lower discharge rate batteries might allow the use of smaller
batteries and smaller solar panels for home lighting, lowering the
cost. The batteries could be combined with efficient LED lights, such
as flexible LED tape, to provide light where it is needed and reduce
waste. I have looked at using the flexible tape LEDs in a computer
classroom
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/01/leds-for-office-home-and-classroom.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU