[LINK] RFI: Email Download Failure from Local ISP

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Jan 23 10:55:45 AEDT 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:28:15AM +1100, Darrell Burkey wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 22:56, Roger Clarke wrote:
>
> > If you don't love 'em you lose 'em, so I use a local ISP:
> > http://www.apex.net.au/contact_us.php
>
> I don't understand this. Are you saying that non-local ISPs don't love
> you so therefore you use local ISPs?
>
> [...] A small local ISP that appears to not be delivering the service
> you want is your choice because you feel loved by them but a national
> well respected and resourced ISP isn't your choice because you don't
> feel the love from them?

what he's saying is that if nobody uses small, independant, local ISPs
that they will vanish from the market leaving only giant national and
multinational would-be monopolists.

> I won't say it here as I'm not interested in fuelling religious
> wars and personally I think the very concept of ISPs is a primitive
> and outdated way of delivering a critical service that we all rely
> on. Nonetheless, we have to live with them and there is one shining
> light out there.

so who is this amazing ISP with the halo?

btw, even if some miracle occurred and everyone was capable of running
all their own services (mail, dns, web, etc etc) AND had the time to
do so AND were willing to do so, somebody would still have to provide
the ADSL or whatever connections, the bandwidth, the routing, and so
on. that's an ISP. or a telco acting as an ISP (the distinction is
vanishing, anyway).

geeks like me don't need or want anything but raw bandwidth and routing
from an "ISP".  most people aren't geeks, they do need and want a lot
more than that.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

It seems appropriate to me that Mapplethorpe's perverse images should be
situated so close to Congress, which perpetuates a number of unnatural acts
upon the body politic every day, without benefit of artificial lubrication
or foreplay.
	-- Pat Calafia's review of Camille Paglia's
	   "Sex, Art and American Culture"