[LINK] Re: Windows XP versus Vista

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Thu Jan 24 14:03:17 AEDT 2008

On 24/1/08 1:51 PM, "Stephen Wilson" <swilson at lockstep.com.au> wrote:

> David Goldstein wrote:
>> A lot of this talk of whether a person living in the third world can
>> use Vista misses a very vital point. It is extremely unlikely there
>> will is the infrastructure to even run a computer let alone have
>> internet access.
>
> This seems a rather pessimistic view of the "third world".
>
> They have telecommmunications... [etc]

Surely depends which "they" you mean. I don't think "The Third World" is a
homogeneous lump of people all with the same asset base. Then again, neither
is The First World or The Second World.

Even within Australia, some people have 12Mb/sec data links and grunty
mobile computers with mobile Internet (me) and others living nearby have
some crappy old Pentium box on a dial-up which crashes all the time (a mate
who works for a basic wage).

One Size Fits All won't fit anyone, really.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia