[LINK] Re: Windows XP versus Vista

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jan 25 02:36:01 AEDT 2008

Andrew writes,

> You may well find that many institutions in the Philippines don't want
> XP, Vista or any flavor of Windows. There have been moves, in recent
> years, to roll out open source ..

We've been talking to different people, Andrew. I find that Filipinas want
to use Windows, and the net, the same as 90% of PC-net users world wide.

“A Computer for Every School” or ACES is a (Phils Gov) project aiming to
put at least one (Win) computer in every school in the Philippines. But
with the budget limited, they are now considering using GNU/Linux instead"
<http://tech.gameshogun.ws/?tag=floss+linux+ubuntu+edubuntu+philippines>

It would seem a brilliant move by microsoft to give them XP. But whatever,
Filipinas aren't silly, and, as you say, open source is growing steadly.
But I don't hear any of the Phils it-teachers I often talk with say they
care all that much about the evils of the 'growing-evil-empire-microsoft'.

They just want their school and student computers to continue to work. And
why not? Thus I say let them continue to use what everyone else uses. WinXP

Cheers, Andrew
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia