[LINK] Re: Windows XP versus Vista

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jan 25 15:28:51 AEDT 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008, David Goldstein wrote:
> How much is the security problem with Microsoft products to do with if you attack Windows-based computers you can potentially reach well over 90% of the world's computers and how much is to do with the design of the software?
>
> Whatever its validity there are stories circulating more and more of hackers hacking into Mac computers, precisely because there are more of them now and it's becoming worthwhile for hackers to delve into this area.

Software isn't engineered like a bridge is engineered. Thats really
the core of the problem.

The "software engineering" stuff in the CS course I've since quit in disgust
focuses on methodology (UML), concepts (OO), language (Java) and teamwork;
completely forgetting how to write efficient, secure code in a hostile
environment.

It'd be nice if software engineering had exactly the same liabilities as the rest of
the engineering field. :)

Adrian