[LINK] Re: Windows XP versus Vista

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jan 28 08:15:42 AEDT 2008

Matthew writes:

> I have a substantial number of machines at home, and the funny thing
> is only 2 of my machines have more room than the 40G required for Vista

Ditto.  Indeed, this sweet 486 Win98 machine has no firewall or antivirus
at all. And I fired up its modem and browser (Netscape 4.5 internal start
page) two hours ago:

> Connected at 50,000 bps
> Duration 02:14.30
> Butes received: 3,104 bytes
> Bytes sent: 1,540 bytes

Two hours? Win98? No Proxy or Firewall? No Antivirus? ... 1,540 Bytes!

Two online-virus-checkers complain it's old, but assert that it's clean.

Where are all the malicious Zombies one gets instantly one goes online?

Ahh .. after 10 years of use, I demand a share of bottom-feeding code!

Mind, I wouldn't/couldn't bank etc with it, however, the point remains.

Anyone claim as little net-upload/time? Wonder what Vista finds necessary.

Cheers, people
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia