[LINK] "I don ' t understand computers" is not an excuse!

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jan 29 10:38:02 AEDT 2008

At 10:08 AM 29/01/2008, Stilgherrian wrote:
>One continual frustration is clients asking whether Tool X is "good" when
>they haven't first explained what it is that they want to achieve.

Abso-bloody-lutely! If they can't describe the problem they are
trying to solve or the outcome they are wanting to achieve, there is
a highest likelihood that what they buy won't do or solve what they
really need done or solved. They just see that some competitor is
using x and they want on the bandwagon or some flashy brochure has
arrived in an official-looking envelope, maybe with a cover letter,
from a vendor who needs to up that quarter's sales.

And some won't appreciate the undisclosed extra costs: loss of sunk
costs, retraining of staff, differences in maintenance agreements,
etc etc. Tool don't come without strings. There are always strings.
Unfortunately, the tool vendor is unlikely to expose the 'bad' news
along with the 'you beaut' gotta have this marketing spin.

good luck with the article, Stil.

Jan

Semi-finalist - Amazon Breakout Novelist Award 2008: The Truck - A
baby-boomer nostalgia murder mystery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121WDVA - Read and rate now!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007