[LINK] Security efforts hindered by untrained users

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jan 31 09:22:10 AEDT 2008

At 08:46 AM 31/01/2008, Kim Holburn wrote:
>You talk as if a knowledgeable person would understand when seeing
>the "pop up" what was happening and press the right button.  Simply
>not the case.  Much software is very badly designed and doesn't
>present the user with enough information to make any kind of informed
>answer.  I've seen experienced IT people stumped at times, so how is
>the average user going to do?  Not well.

Agreed. There are so many warnings now that it's nearly impossible to
know if doing something will really be a problem or just maybe a
problem or just some geek covering his/her backside in the code. Just
yesterday I was warned about a certificate that had expired and if I
communicated with this site, someone might see it. The irony was that
the site was wikileaks.org which through the request to secure.wikileaks.org!

Jan

Semi-finalist - Amazon Breakout Novelist Award 2008: The Truck - A
baby-boomer nostalgia murder mystery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121WDVA - Read and rate now!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007