[LINK] The Amazon Kindle e-book

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Mon Jul 7 13:57:09 AEST 2008

On 07/07/2008, at 1:05 PM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Eric Scheid <eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
> >
> wrote:
>
>> So .. what *are* the advantages of reading a book on the kindle vs
>> reading
>> it on paper?
>
> The need to only ever carry one single "thing", and always being
> able to
> have a book available.

Err - how about a recharging unit, and availability of power
supply..., a bag to put it in, protection, etc.

> No getting half-way to work on the train and finishing your book,
> and then
> realizing you forgot to bring another.

For this, I'd simply plan to take another book, or buy another, or
borrow one from the library beforehand.

> At the end of the day, it's exactly the same reason that I carry an
> iPod
> rather than a CD player and a few dozen CDs.

That's a common argument, but flawed in its logic. You cannot PLAY a
CD without a player, but you can read a book without a book reader. I
think what you mean to say is that you can store more music on an iPod
than you can with other devices, and the benefit is that it is light.
However, music to listen to requires a device that consumes power
(unless you take your own instruments). This is the reason that the
iPod works so well - light, convenient, and powerful enough for
personal use.

Back to quantity: Even the most voracious book reader would have
trouble reading more than a large novel on the longest available plane
flight around the world - it's a different data set. Two large novels
would cover most possibilities, and ease of access to other novels in
such predicaments is not an issue, mostly (unless your reading tastes
are eclectic, of course).

I'm not denying the attractiveness of an electronic device that can
store more than a book - but the Kindle is only the precursor to
devices that are light, attractive to use (and I don't mean bells and
whistles, think 'iPod elegance'...) - with no DRM issues (again, which
helped iPods to take off).

There's also a lot more to the tactile senses that are used when book
reading - page thickness, page location, text location, serendipity of
access, ability to bookmark, annotate, etc all need to be addressed in
an e-book - some developers understand this, and are working towards
it, but all realise that it won't replace the book.

For starters, look at the size and variety offered in book formats: an
important part of the experience - snuggling up in a crowded space in
bright sunlight (for example) is not an easy task with a Kindle, and
nor is it as easy to throw in your carry bag as some books are.
Ultimately, there is a lot to be said for the robustness and
flexibility of the humble book: but I concede that inroads will be
made from the geeky end of town until a wider acceptance is gained,
and usability issues are addressed.

ps. Try reading for long periods where the only form of light is the
screen that you're reading... It's really tough on the eyes. Mind you,
my kids can quite comfortably read in the dark, it appears, so it must
be me. Incidentally, the Kindle has backlighting that allegedly chews
the power, but can run with backlighting off (hence it's
attractiveness compared with other e-books).

iT