[LINK] Vodafone software problems risk public safety

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Jul 9 14:01:37 AEST 2008

Saliya Wimalaratne wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:42:56PM +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> I wrote May 6 09:40:47 EST 2008
>>
>> This appears to be a systemic problem, not within the
>> Telecommunication Ombudsman's power to address. Vodafone could simply
>> respond to each complaint by sending a paper copy and offering a
>> partial refund, without fixing the system.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Yep.
>
> There _do_ appear to be numerous problems with the V billing system;
> problems which result in them being unable to satisfy their legal obligations
> (see the ACIF Billing Code for what I'm talking about).
>
>> The ACMA <http://www.acma.gov.au/> needs to check if Vodafone is
>> complying with its license conditions.
>
> I went through this, slowly and patiently (and painfully), with ACMA,
> the TIO, and Vodafone several months ago. The upshot of the entire discussion
> was that V _does_ have a problem; but they're not going to do anything about it;
> it is in fact the TIO that has the stick for individual cases (but _only_
> individual cases - they apparently won't force Vodafone to fix things); and
> ACMA has basically no teeth apart from revocation of the carrier licence
> (which isn't going to happen for _this_ particular reason).

they probably would like to do something...but
> Vodafone billing woes continue
> While EDS contractors are left with their feet up
> By Bill Ray
> Published Wednesday 26th September 2007 10:55 GMT
> Voda coughed to billing problems earlier this month, though it was coy on where responsibility for the problems lay. The company has three major outsourcing partners, IBM, EDS and Amdocs.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/26/vodafone_billing_again/>

I have been a Vodafone customer since 1996, they have had electronic billing for
a few years, but its gone bad now. So, this story seems to be accurate to the
cause of the problem.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz