[LINK] Apple's Cloud

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Jul 22 17:56:44 AEST 2008

At 18:58 18/07/2008, Rick Welykochy wrote:

>Addressing your use of the word, sure the concept of privacy has
>changed over 100 years. It is has to. There was no such thing as
>identity theft 100 years ago. No phishing scams, online banking ,etc.
>etc.

It's not really identify theft, it's fraud.

If people did face to face transaction and there was consistency in
employment - then you couldn't have identify theft' because the
Russian Bearded Bloke just doesn't look like my wife!  (or me for that matter!)

With more and more people allowing online registrations, and the
reality that most places use a DATE OF BIRTH as a security ID,
Identification is doomed to fail.

I even FAILED on Identifying as myself the other day when a BANK
called me to discuss an account matter.  Well obviously the account
matter isn't too serious.

But then it kinda occurred to me that - how do I know it was really
the bank calling me?  They wanted ME to ID to them - yet THEY called me!!

I know it was the bank because we have an annotation on the account
they are required to use BEFORE we'll even start to hold a
conversation.  Sometimes it takes a bit of arguing to get them to
read the annotation for my benefit.

But really, it's so easy to ring someone and ask them to CONFIRM
their ID because you are from some Organisation.

I had a suspicious call a few months ago "Hi I'm from the bank and we
need to fix your Internet Password, can we just quickly ID you so we
can discuss your account"

I asked which Bank  and got the reply "Well that is part of the ID
process.  If I told you which bank I was from then you might be able
to defraud your identity to me if you were an ex partner or someone else."

I nearly bought it!

Be afraid - be VERY AFRAID!