[LINK] Cuil search engine odd images

Sylvano sylvano at gnomon.com.au
Thu Jul 31 09:59:18 AEST 2008

On Thu, July 31, 2008 9:49 am, Scott Howard wrote:
> It's guessing.
>
> I did the same a few days ago (well, searching for me not you :) ) and it
> managed to come up with an article regarding a completely different Scott
> Howard, with the "picture" next to the article being a photo I had taken
> of
> Machu Picchu.
>
> The photo and the article had nothing in common other than the fact that
> the
> Bio for the person in the article (not me) had the same name as the person
> who took the photo (me).

The best answer I found, so far, is in their FAQ:
 http://www.cuil.com/info/faqs/

<quote>
7. You have images beside your results. How do you pick which pictures to
use?

We know from our research that people can make better and quicker
decisions about relevance and quality when they can see an image from the
website. We do our best to take images from Web pages that accurately
reflect the content of the website. Many websites are full of images, so
we use advanced algorithms to determine the best image to show the user.
</quote>

It is a little vague, but seems to suggest that they will source images
from anywhere - even other websites - to 'enrich' the results.
--
Gnomon Publishing
http://www.gnomon.com.au/