[LINK] iTunes hits Australian higher learning

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 5 06:57:01 AEST 2008

Brendan Scott wrote:
> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>> iTunes hits Australian higher learning
>> By Ashley Clark
>> iTNews
>> 4 June 2008 01:53PM
>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/77563,itunes-hits-australian-higher-learning.aspx
>>
>> Students in Australia and New Zealand will now be able to take the
>> classroom anywhere with the adoption of Apple’s iTunes U at seven
>> universities in the region.
>>
>> iTunes U makes audio and video curriculum from lecturers available for
>> students to sync with their iPods or iPhones, so they can carry learning
>> materials anywhere they go and use them on their own time.
>>

> And presumably ipods and iphones will become the only way to access these universities' lectures.

As it happens, you can get a PC iTunes client, but not, I suppose, with
synch to the mobile device.

But you're right about the basic principle, Brendan. It's out of order
for Universities to mandate a proprietary, commercial system in this
way, merely so they can appear cool. If this is a genuine teaching
initiative, then it should use an open format.

I guess if this is just another cargo-cult gimmick, it doesn't matter,
but <segue to rant> I'm damn sick of the spectacle of the University
marketing department leading the VC by the nose...

RC