[LINK] Australian passport data now available to software developers?

stewart carter mail at ecommercereport.com.au
Tue Jun 10 13:35:55 AEST 2008

Dear Linkers,

I'm wondering whether there are any Linkers out there knowledgable with
the terms and conditions under which commercial entities are able to get

online access to Passport application data from the Australian
government's Dept of Immigration?

I ask because I've read this morning about a software developer whose
product - FCG Online - is said to now have that access.

(Its also said to have access to Electoral Roll databases but I'm
advised that the access is only the same as available to anyone over the
web)

And I can hardly believe that it is accurate.

Presumably, because the software is being used to help a financial
institution meet its obligations under Anti-Money-Laundering
requirements then its OK.

The article was in the subscriber only industry ezine -The Sheet. It
said that

"The software - Identi-check for AML version 2.5 - now includes passport
data from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship,

and will allow the verification of passport number and country of
origin, date of birth, visa status, visa expiry date and work
entitlements."

Are there any Linkers out there with any knowledge of this?

Is the government able to do this as long as it is for a anti-money
laundering purpose?

Regards

Stewart Carter

eCommerce Report