[LINK] Digital copyright: it's all wrong

Frank O'Connor foconnor at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 10 15:01:18 AEST 2008

Mmm,

I started having problems with copyright when:

a) Hollywood copyrighted classic English works of fiction (Bronte
Sisters et alia) simply because they had done a film based on them.

b) The copyright period kept getting progressively extended ... and
not to the benefit of the writers and musicians.. 40 years back
copyright on a book extended to 50 years after the death of an
author. (Before that it was 25 years) Nowadays it extends to 75 and a
100 years.

c) Legitimately bought copyrighted material added the 'feature' of
DRM - whilst illegal copyright violated copies didn't contain same.

d) 'Fair use' basically went out the door.

e) Government saw it as its duty to provide a free CP service for
these leeches (none of whom actually created the copyright in the
first place) funded by our taxes, to institute an enforcement regime
that the leeches can take advantage of. And this for industries that
basically make it their business to fund themselves using tax
minimization schemes and the like, that are fundamentally funded by
government via grants and direct subsidies, protected by governments
by import tariffs, quotas and the like.

Me? I think it would be cheaper just to give anyone who said they
were a film producer, or music industry executive, $10 million on
condition that they don't produce anything ... and just buy the
movies and music (sans copyright problems) from the artists,
musicians and the like at a much more reasonable price than the
current antiquated distribution network and business model can manage.

In the good old days it was de riguer to add value to product if you
existed in any trading food chain ... otherwise, what was the purpose
of your enterprise? Nowadays they detract from the value of product,
regard their existence and ownership of copyright as a God given
right and justification ... and then demand that the public purse be
used to help them out.

Parasitic, no-talent turkeys!

I still pay for what I get via digital entertainment (DVD's, music
and other entertainment streams et alia) - silly me. But the longer
these putzes go on resisting change, the more inclined I am to just
go with the anti-copyright flow.

					Regards,