[LINK] Cost shock puts school PCs at risk - was Computers for schools more than hardware [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Jun 26 17:11:28 AEST 2008

Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> Marghanita wrote:
>> Having just returned from my Aegean Odyssey with a $500 EeePC
>> (complete with Xandros distribution of Linux, Skype, Firefox,
>> Thunderbird, Open Office, built in WiFi, Ethernet, Camera and
>> Microphone), $1000/computer seems generous.  What is
>> particularly attractive is the size and weight.
>
> Because it doesn't have a hard drive, it's extremely rugged. I dropped
> mine from benchtop height onto a tiled floor and it didn't miss a beat.

That's a good point.  I shoved mine in my wheelie bag (which was pretty full)
and it got bumped over
lots of cobbled streets.

The small screen also seems robust and worked well in the sharp light (which my
camera kept complaining about) and my partner's laptop was unreadable.

> Fred

> This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: (+61)0414 869202