[LINK] Hearing tests for free by phone (o/t)

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Mar 1 08:10:43 AEDT 2008

Ivan Trundle wrote:

> Has anyone actually tried the test?
> I did, and it's very clear (pardon the pun) that using a cordless phone
> with a keypad adjacent to the earpiece is a handicap.

Yup. I had acceptable hearing, although I missed a number of
attempts due to quick mis-keying.

> At the culmination of the test, my hearing was deemed to be 'near the
> edge of the range for normal hearing' - a polite way of suggesting that
> my hearing is almost no longer satisfactory.
>
> My personal assessment of the test was that the frequency range seemed
> to be rather restricted to the upper range (or was it my phone?) - my
> sensitivity to low frequency noises is very high (alas - a/c units,
> engines, and doof doof stereos drive me mad), whereas my high frequency
> sensitivity is much less: perhaps others can comment on what perceived
> range of frequencies they had to deal with!

The frequency range tested was the human voice, i.e. identify these
numbers. The sound overlay (interference) made the test much more difficult.
I presume they use this sound mask to enhance the test. There
were some points at which I could not discern the spoek numbers
are all. It seemed that the test became more difficult over time.

> Further, the problem with using a combined keypad/earpiece (i.e.
> cordless/one-piece phone) is that adjustment is needed to move from
> pressing buttons to resuming the hearing test, and if you're not quick
> enough in keying the three number responses requested, the results are
> lost.

Yes, that was a major problem for me as well. My keypad is on the handset,
which is very common these days. Switching between listening for the test
numbers and then keying them in was ... frantic.

A geriatric taking the test would have trouble with this, and would be
advised to try and use a handset that is separate from the keypad.

The sound test is a good idea, but needs tweaking. There is no need for
the speed at which the test is given. It could be slower.

Perhaps an option entered at orientation time at the beginning. The option
could ask if you are using a keypad on handset arrangement and make
speed adjustments for the test.

I could not find a contact email for the test, but they have an online
form here: http://www.hearing.com.au/contact-details

cheers
rickw

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services || Internet Driving Instructor

If somebody has a bad heart, they can plug this jack in at night as they go to
bed and it will monitor their heart throughout the night. And the next morning,
when they wake up dead, there'll be a record.
      -- Mark S. Fowler, FCC Chairman