[LINK] more on DRM-free audiobooks and ebooks

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Tue Mar 4 09:36:15 AEDT 2008

from: Fwd: Publishers Lunch

>More DRM-Free Audio On the Way
>On the audiobook DRM front, other publishers are looking at joining
>Penguin and following Random House's lead in offering more digital
>audiobooks for sale as unencrypted MP3 files. Simon & Schuster says
>they will unlock about 150 audio titles in the "next couple of
>months" while Harper indicates they are "watching these developments
>closely but...not yet ready to end DRM."
>
>Borders says they plan "to begin selling MP3 downloads by early
>spring," while BN still has "no plans to enter the audio book market
>at this time."
><http://click.email-publisher.com/maakiTGabFo7baBS04DeaeQxXH/>NYT
>
>Too Much Security and Technology Impairs "Free" Harper Download
>Also on the subjects of electronic files and free-dom in its various
>forms, Cory Doctorow posted on Boing Boing on Saturday about
>Harper's limited-time free online posting of Neil Gaiman's AMERICAN
>GODS. "I think that Harper Collins got this one wrong. They've put
>the text of American Gods up in a wrapper that loads pictures of the
>pages from the printed book, one page at a time, with no facility
>for offline reading. The whole thing runs incredibly slowly and is
>unbelievably painful to use. I think we can be pretty sure that no
>one will read this version instead of buying the printed book -- but
>that's only because practically no one is going to read this version, period."
>
>Noting that unauthorized copies can be downloaded with ease, he
>adds, "The 'security' that Harper Collins has bought with its
>clunky, kudgey experiment is nonexistent: pirates will just go get
>the pirate edition.
>
>Gaiman, who has nurtured his fan base with care for years, posts on
>his own site and agrees: "I'm currently talking to Harpers about
>ways we can make the American Gods online reading experience a more
>pleasant one. And about ways to give American Gods away that would
>make Harper Collins happy while also making, say, Cory Doctorow happy too."
>
>At the same time, Gaiman notes "I was surprised by a few emails
>coming in from people accusing me of doing bad things for other
>authors by giving anything away -- the idea being, I think, that by
>handing out a bestselling book for nothing I'm devaluing what a book
>is and so forth, which I think is silly." As he says, "the problem
>isn't that books are given away or that people read books they
>haven't paid for. The problem is that the majority of people don't
>read for pleasure."
>
>Meanwhile, the site offers a free audio story ready to go.
><http://click.email-publisher.com/maakiTGabFo7caBS04DeaeQxXH/>BB
><http://click.email-publisher.com/maakiTGabFo7daBS04DeaeQxXH/>Gaiman site

Semi-finalist - Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award 2008: The Truck - A
baby-boomer nostalgia murder mystery
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00121WDVA

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #289:
You have a million words of sh** to write, so do them in whatever way
makes it most rewarding for you and worry about wasted time later.
There is no wasted time except that spent not writing. - R Garcia,
February 2008

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007