[LINK] If a clock ticks in a Klearphelled forest, ...

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Mar 31 14:41:29 AEDT 2008

At 09:34 AM 31/03/2008, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Daylight saving ends early for some Date: March 31 2008 The Sydney
>Morning Herald Jonathan Dart
>http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2008/03/30/1206850709186.html
>
>... Even computer scientist Tom Worthington, adjunct senior lecturer
>at the Australian National University, was caught out. He only
>learnt his digital television set-top box was an hour out when
>alerted to the glitch by the Herald. ...

I am not sure if I should be flattered or insulted, to be described
as a "computer scientist ".  ;-)

More seriously, I noticed that AusTender, the Australian Government
Tender System, was one hit by the bug:

"... Austender is experiencing technical issues due to daylight savings.
Therefore the above tender will now be closing at:
10:00AM (Local time in the ACT) TUESDAY 1 APRIL 2008 ..."

From: Change To Closing Date And Time, Addendum Number 3, E-security
Education Modules For Australian Schools, Request For Tender No.
Dcon/08/13, Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital
Economy March 31, 2008

As at 5:30pm, 31 March 2008, the system is unavailable: "The
AusTender system is currently undergoing maintenance and is unavailable.".

ps: Of course this is not as bad as the flight of F-22 fighters which
were hit by a dateline bug in mid Pacific
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22_Raptor#Recent_developments_.282006.E2.80.94Present.29>.
Perhaps the PM had better check this has been fixed, before ordering any.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU